Haha a smart condescending reply from a double toting dog guy, imagine that.

Yes to some people shooting a limit does make it a more perfect day afield. I’m sure you’ll claim I’m showing my inexperience by claiming so, but I usually recall the days I walked my butt off in subzero temps and killed a limit of roosters more fondly than the days I walked my butt off and only flushed hens or never put up a bird. I don’t HAVE to kill a limit, but that doesn’t make it something I avoid either. Many days I have a great hunt and shoot a handful or no birds. But some people enjoy the thrill of shooting a limit. It’s also been a pretty neat experience a few times to shoot a 3 rooster limit on a rise or even once in Kansas to shoot a 4 bird limit on a rise.

Along the same vein. Quail hunting is defined as following a pointing dog to some people but not others. I kicked up and killed a good many bobs as a kid with no dog or a Lab that only retrieved. My Grandfather and other guys I know shot truckloads of them when they were kids, with no dog and a 22 rifle as they ran down the edge of a cotton field. Some guys just like to shoot birds and couldn’t give a hoot about watching a dog “work”. When you live in an area where there’s birds and you see them while working on the farm it’s not impossible to know where they’re going to be and kick up a covey without a dog. And some people just like to eat quail. I’d also challenge anyone to find me a place locally to buy quail at the grocery store, probably get laughed out of anyplace around here.

Only hunting a couple days a year and shooting a limit is a priority? Why wouldn’t it be after I’ve driven 13 hours over slush covered roads and paid for an out of state license I’m only going to get to use for 3 or 4 days? I won’t resort to breaking the law to shoot a limit but what’s wrong with limiting out even if you only get the one hunt.

I generally hunt at least half the time with a 2 shot gun these days, even killed a triple of sorts on a staggered flush of roosters a couple years back. But I don’t see it as any difference if I feel like carrying an unplugged pump gun one day, the limit is the same regardless of gun type. Maybe look at it as, if you’re interested in killing birds a gun holding more than 2 shots might up your odds in some cases, if you don’t care then tote whatever you want.