Highwalls work well either way and my basis is having two, one with each chamber you listed. How much abuse you want to tolerate is your call. Took my .45-70 version out awhile back with a friend and he named it Thumper....even after he put 5 in about 2" or so. I gave it a whirl with the Marbles style tang sight and plunked 5 into 1.5" with an elbow rest. Oh yeah, it was BP and 530 gr of lead. It weighs about 9# due to the barrel dims, but that is no hangup for me. I have the option of lighter bullets and smokeless but I'm not into that girlie stuff these days.

The .38-55 is configured for Schuetzen style and flings 300 gr lead with BP as well. Total pussycat that I can put 10 in about 8" at 100, standing on my hind legs. 30:1 alloy is my favorite with both guns and would put the splat on any critter inside 200 yards w/o a doubt.

Have a third iteration that is a .40-.38-55 muzzle loading cartridge gun, built in the spirit of Harry Pope's style of guns. It can shoot better than you or me.

Your call, they both work.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain