Originally Posted by McInnis
No it sure doesn’t. Can that be a factor at 300 yards?

I probably wasn’t clear on my objective. I’m not too interested in getting better groups from the bench by doing things that don’t apply to the field like getting a better rest. I’m really trying to get a feel for my max range with different wind conditions.

I sure appreciate everyone’s input.

If you’re getting 2 MOA of vertical at 300, it’s good to figure out why that is happening. Hence my suggestion to modify your bench technique. Once you’ve got your load figured out, and it performs as expected out to your maximum shooting distance (should show consistent precision in a no-wind scenario), then start practicing field positions and shooting from improvised rests.

As far as shooting in the wind goes, Hondo and boatanchor are right, you would benefit from learning how the wind affects your bullet, having a reticle that facilitates compensating for the effect, and using a bullet that is affected by the wind as little as possible. If shooting to 300 yards these things are less critical than if you were shooting in the same wind at longer distance, but the wind can still certainly have a noticeable effect at 300. For hunting purposes from 0 to 300 using a high-velocity cartridge like the .270, I would continue to use the Barnes (maybe switch to the LRX), but would practice enough to know how different wind speeds and directions affect the bullet. A good tool to invest in to help you quantify the wind that you feel, and help you learn to estimate that wind, is a Kestrel. Not necessarily for use while hunting, but for training purposes while target shooting and practicing.