Just learn windage at 200,300 and 400. Practice in windy conditions also. If you think you’ll be shooting steep angles at 3 and 400 learn cosines to be precise. Out to 200 you can hold lower when shooting up and down. Windage at 300 won’t likely be more than 7 inches for a full value 10mph wind. Even less depending on the cartridge. A simple hold off is all that’s required at that range. The key is to learn how to determine wind speed and practice in it. Of course you can just go by a Kestrel if you want. I’m like you and don’t plan to hunt much past 300. I’d rather stalk and close in on the quarry. However, I am always determining wind speed on a daily basis and checking on my Iphone how accurate I am. I watch leaves on trees,flags grass on windy days etc. I then check the weather on my phone and it will give you the wind in the area you are in.For the average non magnum small bore I figure the following for 10mph full wind as a starting reference point: 3”-200yds., 7”-300yds., 14”-400yds. 21”-500yds. Magnums are less. But you really got to verify if you want to be precise. Those are just ball park.

Last edited by Vinootz; 04/10/20. Reason: Adjust