Thanks for all the responses, definitely wasn't expecting so many so fast but I greatly appreciate it. Answering a few questions,

I have shot before, from .22lr to 12 gauge to 8mm Mauser, and while I am certainly not the best shot I am getting better. I also don't really know how to mount a scope, I've really only shot iron sights.

I have a little 10/22 at my dad's place and a little .177 pellet gun that I've popped a few house sparrows and chipmunks with off the back porch.

I hadn't really thought of squirrel hunting before, but it definitely makes a lot of sense. Squirrel season is until the end of February here, so that gives me time to knock the rest out.

I picked .30-06 because it seemed to be a good middle ground of a caliber. I'm halfway through college and have no idea where I'll end up next. 30-06 seems like it'll be able to work just as well on east coast white tails as it would west coast elk or Alaskan bear. Just wanted to have a versatile caliber.

It is "on the way" as in I am in the middle of an FFL transfer for the rifle and it should hopefully be in my hands within a couple more days.

The single shot over a bolt gun is a combination of becoming really interested in these weird european "kipplauf rifles" and most people saying that they almost always fire just one shot when hunting. At the least I'll be more inclined to pick a good shot.

Thanks so much for all the advice and the warm welcome. I really appreciate it and hopefully I've got something to show for it over the next year.