Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Butch,

I meant the process of dialing in a barrel vs. the machining setup.

I.E. Gordy’s method of dialing in to align with the chamber with the bore at the throat as perfectly as possible..
BTW he has updated / improved those older processes you provided in the link from 2000 something... those are a bit out of date to what he teaches today.
That process he has in the videos still works and is repeatable, but he’s done more as well...
Vs.
The dialing in of the bore so the barrel is centered between the bore at the muzzle end (on the spider), and the Chamber end sticking out of the headstock.... I called between centers.
You can do it with a steady rest, but a lot of guys are doing it with a spider and chuck (headstock)...

There are many ways to chamber, but those are the two most common that I know of..
Personally I don’t trust the steady rest method, or indicator rod dial in methods given you can reposition them and they ... hey they aren’t dialed (not repeatable)...

Good to meet you Butch.. smile

“Chambering between centers is the more modern common term” I’m used to hearing so I didn’t think that would be misconscrewed.
... https://rifleshooter.com/2014/09/chambering-a-rifle-barrel-between-centers/