Damn, I was hoping you would all tell me that I needed a 300 Win Short Mag.

For some reason I like shooting the 338 Federal but I have only shot it at a 100 yard rifle range. I just bought it last month. I'll mess with it at 200 and 300 soon. I have not done much reloading but I would have to if I want to use the partition in the 338. The partition factory loads are no longer available in 338 Federal. The Nosler load data shows significantly lower velocities than the factory ammo. That is supposedly the result of proprietary powders but it may be just as much inflated claims by the factory ammo manufacturers.

I really like the 30-06 cartridge for some reason. It is a thing of beauty to me. Some folks find it boring but it appeals to me much more than the 308 Win for some reason despite the longer action. I have the 308 because it was given to me as a gift. Don't get me wrong, I like it but I would trade it for a 30-06 if I had the opportunity. It is a stainless Remington 700 with a Bell and Carlson stock and a Timney trigger. It, along with a couple others, has replaced my 30-06. I don't want to duplicate what I already have but I might eventually pick up a stainless 30-06 (or a coated Browning BAR). However, whenever I get close to doing that, I start think it would make more sense to buy a 300 WSM.

If only I were rich and could just buy them all/