Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, Pete, you did miss the point. Have seen numerous elk (and similar-sized African plains game, which are supposed to be even tougher) that refused to be "knocked down" by magnum cartridges from .300 caliber on up. In fact, I have friend who once shot a big bull five times with a .340 Weatherby Magnum and premium 250-grain bullets before the elk finally lay down and died.

Am always astounded by big game hunters who believe in "knock-down" power with anything under .40 caliber with 400+ grain bullets--and even then I have seen bigger animals not react much to the shot.

you are probably right ? i have not killed many bulls with a rifle i have shot more bulls with a bow over the years.but as you know a 338 Lapua cartridge is still a dang good elk cartridge as is 338-06. i do know and understand the difference between a cow ,small bull compared to a bigger bull,those older bull elk are dang tough to kill sometimes.with this new powder book i purchased from your wife and you called Western powders " and may i say at a good price too " it`s printed that with a 338 Lapua 28 inch barrel i can get around 3,600 fps. with a 210 Nosler Partition that should work just fine on any bull for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman