Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Henryseale
My usual coated lead SWC loads for .44 Mag and .44 Spl, both used in a 4.25" S&W M-69, is 10 gr and 7.5 gr, respectively, of Alliant Unique. To duplicate these loads, can I directly substitute Hodgdon Universal for the Unique? I have seen this suggested and also have seen it suggested that a couple of tenths grains more of Universal are needed to equal the Unique load. I do not have a chronograph. I have seen burn rate charts that show Universal right next to Unique. Anyone have a definitive answer? I can make a guess myself, but I don't like guesses when it comes to loading ammo. Thanks!

No.

OK. I am not arguing with your answer. Do you have any Universal loads that you can recommend from experience that would closely duplicate these Unique loads for magnums and specials? Or, could you point me in the direction of a published information source? I have multiple reloading manuals, but not really finding what I am looking for. Hodgdon's website is not much help. Thanks for the reply.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."