My friends have had shorthairs. Can only speak of the ones I have been around. They don't seem to like real cold weather. Don't like water, crossing creeks, etc. if cold. They always seemed to cut easy, milo stalks, barbed wire, thin skinned I would say. Some have been a little "watch yourself" or get bit, tempermental some days just fine, others seem grumpy. I guess am saying they have a personality of themselves & what they want to do, not one that they will do what ever you want, when you want it. Like most labs, they want to hunt for themselves.

Usually good hunters, good noses. As they say before, you will have to make sure you aren't getting a BIG RUNNING field trial blood line, or they will do just that RUN BIG, & you will think you need binoculars & a helicopter to keep up. That is fine if you hunt great big open flat fields, they will cover the ground for you. It is just what you want, these guys I hunted with were field trial competitors. Like all breeds try to fit what you want to the dog.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin