I've had three GSPs,two of which I'd have to describe as once in a lifetime dogs,they were father and son. He sired 23 pups,he was so well known through my two hunting clubs that most of the litters he sired were pretty much presold.Only once did the pups go unspoken for longer than a few days.Four pups in that litter lasted until week 11,then all sold in two days.He's been gone twelve years now.
The reason:he was beautiful,smart,tremendous desire to hunt,great family dog,great watchdog.What else do you want? His son that I kept,same way,except he turned out to be sterile.None of his other offspring were to my knowledge.He's been gone about three years.Both males lived until passed twelve.
The bitch that I bought with the idea of mating to the son was almost,but not quite in the same class as the two dogs.I found her to be a little more willful,but still an excellent all around hunting dog and faithful four legged family retainer overall.
These dogs were designed to do it all.They were originally intended to be versatile...to hunt feathered and furred game,retrieve,guard,and live in town instead of on big estates.
My experience is that if they become a problem,or don't do it all,it's much more likely the fault of the owner than the dog.Most GSPs bring everything they need with them when they come.
My dogs came from lines of dual champions (show and field) and I'll be getting another as soon as I return from Africa in August.Unfortunately , my female died recently.If the next one is anything like the first three,the pup I get in august will be hunting by November..... not a finished dog,but finding birds,making points,and perhaps starting to retrieve.

Last edited by steve1; 06/28/07.