Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
sounds like those who have had troubles need to spend more time at the range, self admittedly so. there is a very small margin of where caliber can trump shot placement, such as a diaphragm hit being called here as a "liver hit". I've killed probably close to 50 big game animals with a 243 ranging from turkeys to elk. (turkeys are considered big game here). mostly deer and antelope though. I have never lost one, and never had to chase one a great distance. in fact I can't remember any going more than 30 yards the vast majority dropped in their tracks. I used primarily the 95 NBT for the vast majority, including 4 deer just this year. all drt, although my sons mule deer doe ran 30-35 yards with a "liver hit" and was dead before we walked up to her 5 minutes later. learning anatomy and learning your rifle and practicing is the key. buying a 30-06 and being sloppy shouldn't be the goal, but if that's what your skill level requires to get a marginal edge then I say go for it, less wounded deer out there the better. just call it what it is and not blame the instrument. ymmv

LOL. The self proclaimed expert has pulled out his broad brush and begun to paint.....

He has experience with the cartridge on a variety of game and and further cites the bullet used for most of the hunts, while you only have a sample of one.

And on that one, you gut shot the animal, were disappointed that it kept traveling and wrote it off as a failure of the cartridge.

Your lack of marksmanship is the problem.

Bigger cartridges rarely make up for bad shooting and bad shooting is a recurring theme in your hunting stories.

Your reading comprehension sucks. My bullet never touched the guts. It hit one lung and then liver. And I put it exactly where I wanted too. I didn't realize the deer was quartering. Thought it was broadside when I shot. So suck on that.

Bullshit. Your shooting sucks.

As does your "writing." You didn't convey anything about a quartering deer.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain