I don't know how many deer I have shot with a 243 but it is close to 200. I lost two one my fault and one questionable bullet performance ( and my fault ) and lost because of head high grass and darkness. It only went about 200 yards but couldn't find it till the next day. With the current premium bullets available the 243 is viable but not great for elk. If a 243 was the only rifle I had I would not hesitate to use it on moose or big bear, I would just be damned sure I was making a good shot and not too far either.

The 243 is a good choice as are all the medium small bores between 6 & 7 mm for deer. With the 243 I would be a little more particular on the bullet choice especially on 200 lb. plus deer. The medium 6.5s are still in the same recoil threshold as the 243 and I do think they are more versatile on game larger than deer than the 243. But I will never be without at least one and usually several 243s. My latest is a 6mm AI and I do like it but still wonder about if it was just gun loony thinking on building one. Sure it is better at 1,000 yards but I can count the number of deer I have shot over a quarter mile on one hand, I don't even have to take my shoes off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli