He strikes me as pretty ignorant of Firearms history. Everybody that's ever pulled a trigger knows the virtues of a Pre 64 Winchester. Even the ones made after WWII are nicer than anything made today, in that price range. I don't own one. When I was 18 I finally made enough money in a Summer Job to buy me one. But that was 1966, two years after their demise. But I being a dumb high school kid didn't know the difference. I went down to the local sporting goods store and asked to see a Model 70. The one I saw was a .270 Win. and was so beautiful to a kid. It was all shiny. Had a glossy press checkered basket weave pattern stock. I bought it for $150 bucks and paid another $40 for a Redfield 4x Scope and another $10 for Weaver rings and bases. I was so proud of my new purchase. It did and still does shoot very well. I've still got it 53 years later. Well it will be 54 years in August. I do love that rifle and have taken many deer with it. I wouldn't trade it for ten Pre 64s, but that's because of its sentimental value and because it is accurate and functionally I'd just as soon have it as a pre-64. But I'm not by any means saying it's better than a pre 64. No way in hell. Anyway I still have it and the scope although they're no longer together. The scope is on a 1983 '94 Angle Eject .30-30. The model 70 now sports a Leupold VX-2 with adjustable Objective lens. It's a damn good deer and hog rifle and at last count has killed about 75 whitetail and about 5 hogs. It's pet load is a 130 grain Sierra Game King over 57 Grains of IMR 4831 at 3100 FPS or 59 grains H-4831 at about 3050 FPS MV. The Hodgdon load is a shade more accurate. I also have a load worked up with the same bullet using RL-22 that gives a shade more velocity than the IMR powder with the same accuracy. I do love the pre 64s but I just never got around to buying one. Maybe someday.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!