Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
MCH, I don't see how that sentence/analogy works, though I agree about the heavy wheels.

A knife is an excellent place for most guys to shed weight IMHO. Low-hanging fruit. Unless you are full-on bushcrafting why would any backpack hunter need a heavy knife?

Wife and I are moving our backpacking gear towards ultralight so yes, I'm an ounce weenie. smile They add up.

If you want to skimp on a subpar designed knife that's on you.

A knife is probably the most used tool you will have. The minimal weight you are saving results in poor design. Weight can also aid in cutting. A proper knife for backpacking isn't heavy enough to shave weight on and even if you do shave a little its nothing you will ever notice. Add to the fact a knife to be used should be carried on ones belt where it is always in reach and handy. Not in a pack! So weight isn't an issue.

If you need to shave weight that much then you have way to much trash already in your pack. It will serve you much better to cut that trash out of your pack than from the tool you will use more than any other.

A great place to shave weight is actually your pack itself! I have hiked the AT and about 2/3's of the PCT. I have climbed a number of Peaks in the US and Abroad, never have I said to myself dam my knife should be lighter. Never!

I cannot wear anything on a belt while backpacking, due to waistbelt interference. Strapping things to the waistbelt might work, but then I'd want it with the backpack off. The bino chest purse is a good place for such things.