Originally Posted by ol_mike
Big game , predators , camp knives in the backcountry ?

Big game? I assume you are talking about gut / skin / quarter. In the past when I'm concerned about weight I have used a pair of Gerber LSTs, one is the 2nd smallest size, the other the Magnum. More recently I have replaced the Magnum LST with a Benchmade "Steep Country". Also pretty fond of the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini. Sometimes I'll slip one of the Buck skelton knives in my pack as a backup to my backup. they're awkward / uncomfortable but sharpen up ok and hold an edge long enough to finish a job. Not sure I'd buy them again, but since I have 'em .. y know.

Predators .. what, like fighting bears and cougars and the like? I hope not to use a knife for that, I pack a gun and will happily use it.

Camp .. I don't carry a camp knife. Anything I need to cut I can cut with the smaller Gerber or rip it apart with a titanium spork.

When I'm just out day hiking and messing with trail cams then sometimes I'll carry bushcrafting type knives, a hatchet, or even a big chisel to build "hides" for trail cameras in downed logs or the thick bark of fire-killed trees.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...