Originally Posted by prm
If you’re looking for a relatively good BC vs. velocity bullet, consider the 180 AB. Bryan Litz tested BC values are better than the Nosler published value. There are many great powders that will get you 2775-2800. Seeing your in CA and perhaps needing a mono, both the 185 and 160 TTSX shoot very well IMO. For the 160, try AA2230. I was told X-terminator was the exact same powder, yet published data is different. Check out Barnes load data, but work up. I’ve never settled on their max as they seemed a little too stout for me.

I just got in some 180 NAB's from SPS and MidwayUSA. Midway was higher, but I got free shipiping, which made SPS slightly more expensive.

In the 338-06, I should get pretty good speed, maybe in the 2,900 range with H-380. Reportedly it's a good bullet for general use. Will compare accuracy with that powder and Nosler's accuracy powder, Vv n-150, burn rate close to H-4350, StaBALL, RL-17 and H-100V. I have them all, probably won't try every one. Will go with mag primers with ball powders.

I'd like to see 338-06 data with StaBALL. In other rounds, such as the 7-08, charges are about the same as H-4350. I may need to work up loads with my chrono, starting with H-4350 load data. Start low and go slow, for sure, let the chrono do the talking.

DF