Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm gluing some wood together to make a .338 Federal on a Vanguard action. By the time it's finished, this thread will be long gone so I'll start a new one. The TTSX bullets have spiked new interest in short action guns.....at least they have in my world.

I've yet to kill a critter with the 160 TTSX in the 338-06, but at 3K+ fps, it reportedly is pretty destructive. And, tissue destruction kills, hopefully without ruining too much meat. I'm thinking it may be a better choice than even the 185's due to extreme accuracy (at least in my gun) and terminal performance on WT sized game.

It should be a good one in the 338 Fed for the same reason. I've found that Varget seems to be the best powder with that bullet in the 338-06, not sure about the Fed. I'd check Barnes load data for their accuracy load.

DF

Edited to add, I just checked the Barnes site for 338 Fed load data with the 160 TTSX. Their accuracy powder if RL-7 and the fastest RL-7 load was 44 gr. at 2,923 fps, That's giving up around 100 fps to the .338-06. But, I doubt there would be that much terminal performance difference. Those aren't necessarily long range bullets or LR rounds.

I am getting a ballistic tape for my 3-9x40 Conquest with elevation turret. I think the most accurate bullets in the 338-06 would do good whacking stuff at a distance. Maybe a big arc, but something to play with.

As with the .308/30-06 match up, the difference is greater with heavier bullets, not as much with lighter ones.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/24/20.