Nearby neighbor kid (he's 25) is embarking on an adventure: to build himself a .338 caliber rifle. Not sure of cartridge yet, but he's studying the books and so far likes the .338-06 (or the AI version). He is of sensible tastes (big game guns are 6.5x55 and .308), and a VERY good handloader for his age, including Blackpowder Cartridge.

Purpose: A prospective elk rifle that can be enjoyed year-round also testing the waters toward recreational long-range shooting. He is no small guy, a power lifter that can also keep up with my skinny butt chasing Antelope.

Has in his possession a X-Caliber blank in .338, Stainless 1-10 twist, Heavy Varmint taper (but that could be turned, though he likes it as-is). A close friend that has built guns is suggesting a .338 Win Mag for the extra power toward long range and less "hassle" toward the reloading process. Open to other caliber suggestions but Lapua-types need not apply.

Our pupil (victim?) also has stated a preference on his dream to be of synthetic stock (though he loves and appreciates walnut on all guns including his own Pedersoli Sharps). He also likes Mauser actions but is listening closely to those of us trying to sway him toward a Remington 700.

He claims weight is not a real issue (that's the power lifter talking) but it will more than occasionally be carried. I smirk at his dismissal of Grandfather Gravity and intend to smirk more if he carries it on a hunt with me.

On his behalf (and I'll show this thread to him as it progresses) I ask that you offer constructive suggestions toward his build based on your experience rather than speculation. Caliber? Action? Barrel length? Stock? Trigger? Accoutrements? (Brake?, etc.). Optics should lean more toward field use than some huge monstrosity with twisty knobs sticking out all over it.

Thanks for the help. Have fun with this. We will.

Last edited by Tahnka; 01/23/20. Reason: barrel weight

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor