Personally, I would direct him towards:
CRF model 70 action- due to good accuracy, low bolt lift, and positive controlable extraction, and longer potential mag length

Contour - #4 or #5 contour are good without being too heavy, but honestly lighter is usually better when you think elk. Be clear to him, a std m70 super grade is pretty heavy by elk stds. I would target 10 lbs total all scoped up. 22-24”...a bit shorter than I think, is best. I like 24” for elk, so 22” is probably better!

Trigger- have the gunsmith tune to crisp 2.5-3 lbs unless he has another weight.

Stock- synthetic with correct lop.....truly experiment extensively with taped on shims in hunting clothes until I just mounts right! Synthetic is better, requires less babying. McMillan has nice checkering. Bedded of course. This is not a benchrest rifle. Bed the chamber too!

Brake- no, unless everybody will have hearing protection.

Optics- good luck. Find a bdc reticle you can use and ideally capped turrets. Also, ffp is ideal, but just limit yourself to 14x and sfp can work. Watch the weight lots of fat optics out there.

Caliber- I like the .473 case head. Mag holds 1 more. Also look at the Sherman rounds. Btw, 30 cal is an elk round...could kill black bear too. 338 might be too big! His 6.5x55 shows his reason and maturity!