I am partial to a 338-06, you can get excellent Lapua 30-06 brass to neck up. But a 338 WM would also work since he is not recoil shy.
From your initial post.

- Model 70 Classic action
- I have used quite a few PT&G aluminum/steel bottom metals with no issues.
- #4 or 5 contour barrel with a 1:9 twist. All of mine are getting 1:9 twist because I like monos and they are longer, plus the extra twist helps when shooting subsonic and slower loads. I like #3 @ 23", but I am a hunter. A 22-26 will work because weight is not an issue, and wants to shoot long range. The 1:9 will help with the heavier longer LR bullets that are available.
- Find a stock that fits him. I like McMillan Edge, but one that fits is more important than brand. Lighter is better for hunting, heavier is better for LR.
- Definitely go with a variable scope up to 14 or 15 power. Not too much for hunting but will let him get out there on targets. I have a 2-7 on my current hunting rifle.

I have a suppressed 338-06 on the way. Has a #4 contour barrel to accommodate the threads. It will get a higher power scope, up to 14. It could be used to plink at LR.
I also have an African style 338-06 coming which will get a lower power scope. Max 9 power, if that.

Arcus Venator