Originally Posted by TreeGuy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm just curious. A military guy there for a training session is probably living on base or maybe in an apartment. So if you get an elk, what do you do with it? You can probably find a charity to take the meat but how about a nice set of antlers? They're not very practical to be hauling around between duty stations.

I'm the guy in question, just made an account. If it's deemed acceptable out there, I'm thinking I could bag a deer out and happily process the meat at home. I'll likely be staying in a rental house off base so a cooler and a freezer is no problem. If I get some antlers, hopefully there'd be a taxidermist around for a European mount. I'm not sure I'd go for Elk for those reasons though. That'd be a bit too much to deal with I'd think.

RockChuck-
Just curious, but what are you trying to get at here? If a guy does 20+ years is he expected to not hunt during his most healthy & able hunting days he'll see in his life?

Treedude- I recommend applying for elk. Take every opportunity you can get. Your flight training time will be like living in frat house most of the time. You and the other Lt's will be able to eat a elk up real quick in between doing shots of Jeremiah Weed.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation