Originally Posted by TheKid
Don’t bother buying an elk tag if you can’t hunt them on Ft Sill. Outside of the Special SW Zone, where I live that’s about 4 1/2 hours from Enid and all private, there’s no elk to speak of. They opened the season statewide a few years ago because there are a few here and there that are likely escapees from some high fence area and there was a grey area around the legality of shooting them. There’s also no elk hunting on public lands. I think in the last 3 or 4 years theres been less than ten killed statewide outside of the above mentioned SW zone. You’d just be throwing your money away.

Of course the Witchita mountain draw hunt for elk is once-in-a-lifetime so why not try for it while here?

As to the overall numbers they are available online. I know the SE section has a quota of 5 and it’s usually filled in the first couple weeks of archery. There is a breeding population in the Pushmata WMA but of course the statewide season is private land only.

Just checked. This season: 58 harvested outside the special southwest zone. 128 harvested in the SSZ

Last edited by 117LBS; 01/23/20. Reason: Add numbers

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................