I have owned and reloaded for the Hornet and K-Hornet since the seventies and have to say there is no better time than now to shoot and load for a Hornet. In the old days the powders and bullets seemed to peter out at about 175 yards. The bullets were not very aerodynamic and velocities were considerably lower than today. In the seventies and eighties I used 45 grain Hornady soft points and H110 or IMR 4227 for powders. Today I use Hornady V-Max and Nosler BTs with Lil Gun or A1680. Haven't tried the newer powders that have hit the market in the last couple of years since I am fully stocked with Lil Gun and A1680. I am getting about 3000 fps out of a 20 inch K Hornet Contender barrel. With the longer #1 Barrel you will do better. Some complain of short case life and crushed shoulders in the Hornet, but I rarely have any issues with the tapered base bullets I shoot. Oversizing is probably the main cause of short case life. You might want to look at using a Lee collet neck sizing die. It greatly lengthens case life. I do have to trim my .22 Hornet cases much more than the K Hornet case.