Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's especially useful for heavier bullets from 40 grains up--even 50-grain spitzers if your rifle has a 1-14 twist. Plus, of course, it has a decoppering agent.

My CZ is 16 twist, so don't think it'll do very well with heavier bullets, probably 40 gr. tops.

DF

I get excellent accuracy(about 0.8 moa for five shots, average) with the 46 gn Winchester HP in my Brno. No issues with stability as far as I can see, no doubt because it is a rather dumpy bullet. Despite its dumpiness it performs well enough on small game/varmints - I've even dropped the odd pig with it - for me to continue using it. I also use 40 gn spitzers (Sierra), which admittedly shoot a mite flatter, and with similar accuracy.

I'm still using W296 with both, and it works well for me. I don't expect my Hornet to reach out past about 200 yards. I have other rifles for that. For walking around potting rabbits, hares, foxes, cats, and perhaps the odd pig, with little noise, recoil, or cost, I reckon there are few better.

Length is the deal. So, “dumpy” may be short enough, even with that weight, to work OK. Have not tried that one. May have to check it out.

DF