Have a 338-06 and a 35 Whelen in pre-64 Model 70s-original re-chambered/re-rifled barrels-iron sights. A 338-06 Ack Imp
is close to ideal. Having land in Alaska influences my thinking. You never know what will show up at the gut pile or around the next spruce.
If its under 125 yds, a 348 Ack Imp has worked really well in a pre-war Model 71 Deluxe on AK moose.
If these seem like minimum standards -I have to confess to killing my first bull elk with an original Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF. He
did'nt suffer or require a second shot. If an elk or moose gets taken over by a grizzly-you will have a fight on your hands

A guide in Wyoming was killed by a grizzly a year and a half ago-elk hunting. I am sure he would re-think his choice of weaponry if he could do it again.
Rifles and calibers are like girl friends and wives. Choose carefully and wisely- because you will have to live with your decision.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 02/09/20.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....