Originally Posted by ol_mike
http://www.kelseycreekknifeworks.com/files/DSC03283.jpg

I knew that design was called a beaver something ? i remember seeing those in Fur Fish & Game magazine when i was a yout .
Tip design makes perfect sense for a 'skinning' knife .

Happy Birthday !!!

That style is called a beaver skinner or muskrat skinner, depending on size and AO. I've been a member of the National Trappers Association since the 1970s. Honestly, almost no trappers use them anymore with the advent of the Havalon and various copies.

However, IF you ARE interested in the style, it is sort of kismet that you live in Florida...Steve and Tess Greene, SIL and Daughter of Melvin Dunn, king of knife makers for, and voting member of, the NTA took over from Melvin when he retired and ultimately moved to Florida from Kansas....and kept Melvin's business alive. They are in Intercession City, by Kissimmee area about 30 miles south of Orlando.

Melvin traditionally worked in D2, then later was a dean of S60V. I have 5 or 6 of each, and they are superb.

Steve is now offering Melvin's styles in S30V.

The classic Dunn knife looks like this:

[Linked Image]

and, their website is here: Dunn Knives

Maybe give them a call and a visit...would surely be informative!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...