Originally Posted by victoro

Some of the precautions/side effects (from Mayo Clinic) are:

1) This medicine may rarely cause a severe allergic reaction (swelling of face, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing, and blistering of the skin.
2) You should seek medical attention right away if you experience a prolonged erection while using this medicine.
3) A serious eye problem called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) has occurred in some patients who were taking this medicine or who had recently taken this medicine when they had cataract or glaucoma surgery.
4) Common side effects: lack or loss of strength, body aches or pain, trouble swallowing, tender swollen glands in the neck and several others.

1. Just about ANY medication can cause "swelling of face, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing, and blistering of the skin." That includes commonly prescribed drugs like amoxicillin.
2. Yea, you should seek medical attention for a prolonged erection (called priapism) but that isn't a common side effect of tamsulosin.
3. The "floppy iris syndrome" can happen but it's mainly a problem if you need cataract surgery.
4. I took the stuff for several years and never got loss of strength, aches or pain, swallowing difficulties, etc. I just detest taking pills of any kind.

In some men, artificial sweetners such as Splenda can cause extreme bladder irritation and difficulty urinating even when taken in small quantities.

After losing sleep for several years with my problem that wasn't completely relieved by tamsulosin I had the HOLEP procedure and have no regrets. Everything works just fine without medication and I pee like a race horse.