I received my journeyman machinist training at GE's formal apprentice program in Erie. There I spent time in a classroom learning cutting tool geometries along time spent on the shop floor running cutter grinders. Much of my work at GE after graduation involved the optimization of machining processes. My favorite project was the programming of a CNC lathe to machine locomotive axles. Cutting speeds and tool geometry made up a lot of my life.

If you really wish to know how good your edge is formed then look at it under a microscope. I had one at my desk for the last 25 years and learned even a fixture system has limitations with the biggest issue being uniform stone pressure. My hand sharpening was a joke, the cutting edge was far from uniform. Look at a razor blade edge under a scope, that is your goal. 60x scope works just fine.

Sharpen with a fixture system, strop to maintain the edge. Actually stropping increases the edge angle and you'll need to cut back the blade material to establish a new edge but stropping is far more convenient then setting up the sharpener.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein