I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta, a lower middle class neighborhood. In 1960, I was 9 years old and we had a "colored" maid. All the ladies in the neighborhood had a maid.
The black section of Atlanta was 15 miles away, on the south side of town. These maids would ride up Peachtree Road on the Peachtree Oglethorpe bus. The housewives would pick them up at the bus stop.
I remember one maid was named Mattie Dollar. I do recall, when it was time to take Mattie back to the bus stop, she would ride in the back seat while my mom drove.
My mom was a Chicago yankee. And I asked her why the maid had to ride in the back, she just said "That is the way they do things down here."

This was before the Great Society, no welfare, so these black gals were glad to have a job. I guess they worked pretty cheap because all the neighborhood moms had a maid. Mattie Dollar would work on Mondays and Wednesdays at our house, and then work at other houses the other days.

I do remember going to the gas station with my mom in 1960, there were two drinking fountains. One had a big sign that said "WHITE" and the other said "COLORED."
I said, "Mom, why do the coloreds have to drink from a different fountain? Do they have some terrible disease?"
My mom said, "That is the way they do things down here." She could not explain it.

I do remember my mom saying that Mattie Dollar had 6 children and she sent every one of them to college. Unheard of in those days.
I think that one of her kids is Creflo Dollar the preacher but I am unable to confirm that.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 02/17/20.