I'm one of those guys that can't for the life of me figure out how "middle class" or even "lower middle class" folks as some here have stated could afford a maid, housekeeper, "man" etc.

We had a single wage earner family, 4 boys that came about every 2 years, then a girl finally when the oldest boy was 16. Dad had one new car he bought in 1963 when there were only 3 of us kids when we lived in a 3 room apartment back east. That car lasted a good many years, 1988 or so? After we moved to Cali and two more kids came along, even working good paying Union jobs and such, there was no leftover $$$$ for hired help. Mom would have loved it though.

We rarely ate really expensive food, like restaurant or steaks. Staples like noodles, rice, pancakes for dinner, whole chickens, lots of hamburger and cheap roasts served to keep 4 growing boys going, little sister ate just l like a little sister.

Maids were for folks that lived high on the hill. Same with yard men and mostly even for paying a mechanic to work on anything, car, washing machine, etc.

I'm amazed that folks supposedly similar to our family could afford a gal to come in.

Mom surely would have loved one though.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?