I seemed to have went on a side track mentioning my grandparents’ house lady (mostly because that’s the only one I knew and was around)

As for my mom and dad, yes absolutely they had “the people” when they lived in Nairobi, Kenya.

My parents worked for the US Embassy, and had their own house/compound about 3 miles away.

They had gate guards out by the street.
Mom had a nanny for my infant sister (my sister was 18 yrs younger than me).
They had a house keeper too, her and the nanny talking back and forth is where my sister picked up some Swahili
There was a gardener to do up all the bushes, trees, picked up flower petals and figs off of the driveway.
Then there was also a yard/house maintenance guy, he actually did the mowing. Gardener guy was afraid of the mower or some chit.

My mother was sympathetic to all these people, like a fuggin shovel-ready grant. The embassy only supplied the gate guards.

All these staff people could be hired for about $10-20 a week. Which was tremendous to those individuals.
Mother let them have part of the yard to grow a shared garden, she ordered Burpee seeds through APO. They wouldn’t let the green beans mature, they picked the leaves as they grew and cooked those. lol

Mother requested I send any hunting boots, work boots I wore out over there for those staff people. Even went to Goodwill and got them boots to send over. A wore out pair of boots brought tears of gratefulness to their eyes.
They were sure sad when mom and dad moved back to the states.