Originally Posted by bartman
I have the Glock 20 Gen 4. I have dies and components but a little wary of starting the reloading. Getting the smiley face on my once fired brass and have read that Glock barrels do not support the case head. New to reloading auto loaders, should I re barrel with aftermarket?

Way back when case head support in Glocks was a news item I examined a number of then current production Glock pistols in .40 cal and I could find no significant difference between Glocks and other manufacturers. It is essentially a headspace tolerances issue, and individual pistols even from the same production line will have variation in that regard.

However, the problem was traced primarily to the design of the cartridge case, so it was redesigned, and newer prroduction cases were beefed up to better support the case head area... Federal brass was the primary offender.

I still occasionally see smiley brass laying on the ground at the range, but rarely. Your pistol could be on the long side, but without examining YOUR pistol it can't be determined.

The short answer is to just try a different brand of factory ammo.

If you want to reload, there is no problem, just start with the starting loads in your manual and work up from there and you will be ok.

10mm is a higher pressure round, so if I come across a piece of smiley brass I toss it out, as it has already been stretched in that critical area.

I generally resign once fired brass to less than max loads, and only load max loads in new Starline brass.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."