Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Like i said I understand the room thing.

Mike,
Any special handling issues with the tiller on that 90? I've got a 70 on a 17' CC that I was thinking about converting to a tiller, but I am a little concerned about how it is going to handle, particularly in turns.

Depending on the model, it's around 1500ish to convert from remote to tiller steering. Sell what you have and buy a tiller usually makes more sense.

Not asking about cost, asking about issues in handling/steering with a high HP tiller steer. Largest tiller I've had was a 50.

Mine is easy to drive. Without the hydraulic jack plate it would be difficult. Depending on load and speed a minor height adjustment makes a big difference. It is on a 20 ft bateaux that I built.

My buddy has hydraulic assist on his 150 tiller. The throttle and steering is the same as mine but as you put pressure to steer a sensor activates the hydraulics.

Last edited by Mike70560; 03/06/20.