Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Are you going to pop the cap off to redo the transom?

Not planning to pull the cap, that is the professional way to do it.

I will either cut the fiberglass on top of the transom and use a chainsaw (yes chainsaw) to reach in and remove the rotten wood, make certain it is dry, and fill it with resin and matting, basically ending up with a solid fiberglass transom. I will cap it off with an aluminum plate for additional strength.

The better way to do it is to remove most of the exterior of the transom, completely clean everything, start laying fiberglass, matting, wood, as needed. It is a lot of work but would look good if done properly. Years back we ran fiberglass airboats so I learned at an early age how to perform fiberglass work, but this is a big job.

JohnW

This is a common problem for a lot of older boats. Water will leak in through the bolt holes for mounting the engine and rot the wood in transom. In general Grady Whites are good boats. This one is a new hull design, I think it was built around 1995.

This guy makes it look easy

That was a common problem with Grady's. Do you have any idea what condition the deck and stringers are in? If they are good, when you are done you will have one sweet boat for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I really enjoy my dual console. The wife does too, and that matters.