Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

I already have a 225hp OptiMax, I need to put about $1000 in the trailer, $3000 upgrading the boat, and about $2500 in electronic I will be under $10,000 for a very nice Grady White. I just need to finish changing a cylinder on my airboat engine, move my houseboat from the hunting lease to my summertime location, re-prop my bateaux for a little better performance, rebuild the outdrive on the super go devil, find the key my 3 year grandson took out of my bass boat ignition.... too many damn boats.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Are you going to pop the cap off to redo the transom?