Originally Posted by Rug3
Anyone used the 270 85 or 95 grain on game? They should be very fast but I'm thinking they are made for the 6.8 and may not hold together on game at the 3600 fps that could be generated. What's your experience?

I have pushed them TSX and TTSX bullets pretty fast and tested them into water jugs. !130 grain TSXs and TTSXs out od a 300 WM run about 3580 when you get to accuracy near the top end. I have killed deer with them at that speed without any sign of losing a petal. But, I am shooting deer and not shooting heavy bone. I have tested 25-06 80 grain TTSXs into water jusg without losing petals. I have tested 85 grain TSXs out of a 270 into water jugs at somewhere above 3500 without losing petals. I have hit heavy bone with TSX and TTSXs in 243 and 270 without seeing any evidence of lost petals. The only Barnes bullet I have seen lose a petal was a 150 grain XLC at 3250 FPS that I put into the mouth of a deer. It went through all the molars on one side and then through the atlas and brain stem which I was shooting at. That one shed a petal which hit one of the spinal processes on above the pelvis and did an impressive job penetrating.

I may have lost petals on other Barnes or monos, but I have never recovered any bullets to know for sure. Also never lost a deer with any mono nor ever needed a second dose for any deer.