Hello guys!

Just a bit of an update on a project I have underway. I thought you might like to see what I have dreamed up LOL!

I am taking a Savage Model 112, Series-J rifle that was originally chambered in .222Remington, and converting it to a 45 ACP rifle that should give me the opportunity to squeeze as much accuracy out of the 45 ACP as I can. Just to see what it is capable of.

Why? Because I enjoy shooting big, slow bullets like this, and would like to create a great 100 yard gopher/plate/rock etc. smacker!
The trajectory should be close to the 22lr, and would be more fun to see hits with a 230 grain bullet than a 40 grain bullet.

I may even try to shoot a deer or two with it sometime.

The barrel I am using is a custom job that I am still waiting for. It should be complete and on it's way in about a month +/- a week. The wait is unbelievably painful! LOL!

The barrel is going to be 20.5" long, and a full 1" bull contour.
- .451" diameter
- Stainless
- 1:16" Twist

So far I have completed the following:

- Obtained another bolt head for .308win case head size, and fitted it yesterday to the bolt.
the pin protrusion is at .053", so that is fine.
Switched the old extractor to the new bolt head, and removed the new bolt heads ejector plunger. No need to fling these cases out on the ground.

- The trigger was set to around 10-12 ounces (safely) when shooting bench rest with the .222 Remington barrel. So that will help wring out the smallest groups.
- I have set up a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50mm scope with Burris 30mm Signature rings.
- Installed a +.010" shell in the bottom rear ring and a -.010" shell in the front bottom ring to bias the scope alignment vertically.
- Installed a .015" Brass shim under the rear scope base to further give me scope bias for the vertical plain. This should allow me to site the rifle in at around 80 yards, and leave me nearly all the vertical adjustment of the scope available for longer shots. (100-200 yards LOL!). Small adjustments may need to be made to fine tune this bias value.
"If the developed loads are accurate enough to take advantage of this option".

I am hoping to shoot 230+ grain bullets primarily, but will try most traditional bullet types and weights in time.
I will attempt to develop some high performance loads with the Hornady 225 grain FTX bullets as well.

Note: The barrel presently on the action is still the original .222 Remington barrel. The barrel was left on for sake of the pictures.

here is the google link to my photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8h75oYA36SK3KuzH9