Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
This crowd went as far as trying 18inches then cutting down 1 inch at a time. 16-18 inch seems to give the maximum velocity in most cases. Click on the Muzzle Energy Graph link on each page for a better visual indication of the results.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html

They've done a whole bunch of other pistol cartridges, and 223 too.

Interesting in those links how some loads lose velocity at a given barrel length and then slowly pick up more again at a longer length.

I will be reloading everything I shoot, so I will be able to progressively increase each load combination until I detect/determine near maximum loads. This should indicate to me the true performance ceiling of this wonderful little case.

Everything I will be testing will be done over a lab radar chronograph, and every case will be inspected to track performance trends.

I may even ream out the chamber lead at some time to allow the bigger/longer 230 gr+ bullets to seat out further to gain a little case capacity.

My priority is accuracy first, then velocity.

With most conventional pistol powder charges, the pressures are lower (relatively speaking) and the pistol powders don't always burn completely, cleanly, or consistently. These loads normally leave the spent cases more dirty with unburnt powder fouling. This seems to create higher Standard deviation values and inconsistent gas volume/pressure yields. It isn't until the pressures are elevated a bit (which this platform will be ideally built for), and the gas volumes/pressures should tend to balance out better and give better Standard deviations, velocities, and burn a bit cleaner.

This is why I want to initially test a pile of standard powder & bullet combos, and slowly work them up to see if they get more accurate and burn cleaner like in my JR carbine.

After all that testing is complete , then I hope to expand into some "slower" powders, then slowly ramp up pressures until I encounter the near max performance of the combination.
This should give me a decent evaluation of what I can squeeze out of this little 45ACP case. After all that experimentation, what ever the best combinations of accuracy and velocity are, is what I will load volume for.

Most of us shooters know, the majority of the fun is in the testing, and then is complemented in the hunting or target shooting.