Originally Posted by pullit
I too would love to hear about your annealing process. Do you use a machine or just the drill and socket type set up, temp sticks, or?
By the way this is a great thread......

Like a lot of guys, I started out with the drill & socket, but figured out a way to speed it up.

Funny, but my idea preceded the Anneal-Rite guy's by several years......so much for fame & fortune.... cry

Since I was a carpenter, & not a machinist, I worked with what I could scrounge up around the house. I built the 1st "prototype", with the idea to modify later if need be. As it turned out, I'm still slumming my original redneck version:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

First, I built two cradles for the bottles. Then found a piece of 5/8" tubing that I drilled 2 holes about a half inch down from each end, cut off a 16 penny nail, & peened the end to keep it in place. That was my cartridge holder. Then I drilled a hole through the middle, and screwed a bolt through it into a 1 1/4" piece of dowel for a handle. Presto....an annealing machine!

I have never used a temp stick, just do it in a semi-darkened room, and look for the dull orange to show on the necks, turn and dump them in water, set on the next case, etc. Takes 2-3 seconds depending on the case. I don't dunk them to stop the heat, I do it because I believe the seating is more consistent vs not quenching. I also use warm water, which helps speed up the drying. I dump them in a strainer and dry them with a blow dryer while shaking, stirring, & flipping the brass. 5 minutes and they're done.

Dump them in a bowl, and off to full length sizing.