Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Theeck
I like straight blades. I have a Benchmade Griptillian? That is half serrated. It is more of a daily carry, utility knife than a hunting knife.

I don’t own any Spyderco knives. For about the same price, you can get a Benchmade. I know they have less variety in models but I really like every Benchmade that I own. My favorite hunting knife is the Saddle Mountain Skinner.

Lately avid knife aficionados regard Benchmade as over priced for the product received and their QC is suspect. Benchmade QC has been sketchy for several years.

BTW, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 was mentioned above. I get a kick out of the markings on the blade, "Golden Colorado U.S.A. Earth."

I have never had a problem with a Benchmade and they are American Made. Whether they are overpriced is a matter of opinion, I guess.

Personally, I think Spyderco is all marketing and hype. They are ugly and cheesy-looking to my eye. I bought one when I was about 13 years old. It was a low quality, mass-produced piece of crap. There is a chance I may still have it somewhere. I imagine that they have improved but I’m a fast learner. I have no interest in the brand. I’d take a Buck over a Spyderco any day.

I look at Spyderco a bit like Savage firearms. I had one many years ago and was unimpressed. People on forums seem to love the ugly things but I won’t touch one after the experience I had. I suspect that there is a good bit of crossover in guys that love Spyderco and guys that love Savage Arms. The difference is that Savage prices their products in line with their quality.

Just my opinion. It is good to have options.

Last edited by Theeck; 03/24/20.