I always feel like the “they’re known for ruggedness, not clarity” type comments to be a bit misleading.

The 3-9’s glass is fantastic, let’s get that out way first. My eyes like it better than nightforce glass, but your eyes might disagree.

As for the normal fixed line, I have only looked through and shot with two different 10x ss scopes. They were both exceptionally clear—for the price. I think they’re on par with leupold vx3 glass, and definitely better than the vortex vipers I’ve owned and looked through. Not alpha glass, but they’re also $300 so let’s not get carried away with the comparisons.

My friend uses his swfa for nighttime predator hunting without issues, and keep in mind it’s a 10x scope with a 42mm objective and no illumination.

As for the weight: find me a scope under $500 and under 19 ounces that will track as reliably and as accurately as a swfa and I’ll concede that they are heavier than necessary.

Yes, they’re heavy compared to a set and forget scope, but only by a few ounces, and I can deal with that for reliability. I don’t think they are the best option for brush hunting, but I’ve used my 3-9 for that and don’t feel like I’m at much of a disadvantage. Try taking your set and forget scope to 1000 yards and let me know how you do.