Rossimp makes some points that are worth consideration. The truth is that the 338 flies flatter but makes a smaller diameter hole, so the effect of tissue displaced may favor the 9.3 but the ease of hitting may favor the 338 and a hit in the middle with the smaller bullet is going to beat a hit on the outside of the boiler room with the larger bullet. In 100% honesty the ability to hit (for example) a 12" target 100% of the time at X range is not about either gun but more about who is doing the shooting. I missed my 2019 elk with my 9.3X62. I missed the elk, My rifle put that round right where I aimed it. Not where I wanted to aim it.................but where I aimed it. Why? I didn't practice with that round enough, and I guessed at it's point of impact and I guessed wrong. The bull did NOT give me a 2nd chance.
So if I had been using my old 338 would I have killed that bull? Probably because I used to shoot my 338 out to 1000 yards for fun and I knew where to hold. BUT that is NOT a "plus-point' for the 338 over the 9.3. It's simply proof that I need to practice what I preach and shoot a rifle enough to know where to hold and have the skills to do it. That was not the fault of the round or the rifle or the scope or anything else other then....ME! So if I could have snapped my fingers for that one shot and made any rifle I wanted appear in my hands at that moment, would I have chosen my old 338?
No, I would have chosen my old 270 or maybe my 300H&H. Why? Because at that range I KNOW where to hold with either one of them especially the 270, which I have shot so much it's on it's 3rd barrel.

But the argument is that the 9.3 works well with a shorter barrel and holds 2 more rounds in the mag. Does that matter? Not really. Not to me anyway, but if it matters to another man then it matters and his desires are just as important as mine. That's why he can choose.

The 9.3 does put elk on the ground faster then my old 338 did. Again...is that important? Well not really
It the 338 drops them in 5 seconds and the 9.3 does it in 2-3 seconds most hunters would ask the real world question................."So what"? Simplistic to be sure, but also the essence of truth. 2 more seconds of running is not going to make a lot of difference. A downed elk in 15 -20 seconds compared to a downed elk in 2 seconds is a big deal to anyone who has ever seen how far an elk can get in 20 seconds. But a 2-3 second difference is not truly important.

So the real truth is that we should all carry what we like and learn to use them well.

Last edited by szihn; 04/14/20.