Originally Posted by Tejano
What pizzies me off is that now there are many $3-800 dollar rifles that shoot as well or even better than several $1-5,000 dollar rifles I have. Improvements in technology and production have come a long way. Better barrels and bedding are the key ingredient I think.

Why would that upset you? Technology has improved firearms production and accuracy. I want a $300 rifle that shoots bugholes! It's better barrels, better triggers, better stock material, better bedding, better scopes, better bullets, better powders, better primers, and better brass. Give that to a talented shot and you've got magic.

Even the so called "cheap rifles" will out shoot most of the rifles of yesteryear. . They are cheaper and faster to build. Some guys want the beauty of a wooden stocked rifle paired with accuracy. To get that will cost big money. In the end though, most people care more about small groups from a low cost rifle than good looks. By God, she's ugly, but the woman rifle can cook!

Man will continue to chase bugholes, but it took more work when the primary stock material was wood. As an action cradle, wood is finicky. If Townsend Whelen was around today, he would be packing a synthetically stocked, aluminum bedded rifle.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]