I see woodcock walking like that a handful of times each year. One of the guesses is they do so to test footing but it seems this often occurs on hard surfaces which would rule out this theory. Some think it is done to mimic wind movement but I've seen it done on still days as well as windy plus having observed more woodcock walk around as typical I have doubts on this reason. I've also heard this is a method of triangulation to detect prey which seems a little more likely as it does occur in "normal" ground too but again, hard ground would prevent the bird from reaching its prey. It is one of those oddities that we may never know for sure why it's done.

Sky dancing has been going on for a few weeks here. If one is careful, they can move to within feet of where the male begins his dance. I've known people who have captured a male while found so but my luck has not been nearly as good. I've had better luck netting mudbats using lights, at night, in the rain than stalking them while they are dancing.

The first broods should be hatching in the next week or so per buddies who have found nests already. I hope to get out scouting/banding this weekend if the weather and wife permits.