Woodcock in their migration crossover and stop to rest in a variety of covers, some of which do not have Ruffed Grouse...

https://ruffedgrousesociety.org/migration-map/

Since I've only hunted them in Michigan my experience is limited...Combined with the fact, I've only hunted them when they sit down in considerable numbers in that area.. With that, we seemed to find the most in relatively young Aspen cuts, We often found Grouse in the same areas, but for the most part the Grouse were normally in cuts a little older, with a wider variety of food sources. Although when the Woodcock were in, you could cross paths with at least some in most covers....This would be my experience in Michigan...

We found the most Woodcock in this type of cover: However, some Grouse would usually be hanging around the outside edges of cuts like this....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

While Ruffed Grouse in were we hunted were more frequently found in covers that had matured a little more....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

As far as eating, I find little difference between Ruffed Grouse and Pheasants....In fact I just had a smoked Wild Turkey breast sandwich, and if I didn't know, I would not have been able to tell which one of the three it was....

laissez les bons temps rouler