At one time 410 shells were the least expensive shells one could buy. They were often sold singlely longer into the era than the larger bores. In that way it was the "22 LR" of the shotgun world for a few decades and one reason the 410 was so often a beginner's gun. I have owned boxes of 12, 16, 20 ga, and 410 of the same brand, era, and likely store which showed the price progression from 12 down to 410. The 410 was almost half the 12 ga and 3/4 that of the 20 ga for "low brass" in the larger bores and 3" in the 410.

The first O/U I bought was a Citori in 410. I bought it for the express purpose of shooting woodcock. The season for woodcock opened on Sept. 1 back then which was two weeks before grouse opened up. Cover was very thick and green as the first hard frost was a couple weeks away so ranges seldom exceeded 20 yards and often much less. Hunting was tough as temps were often in the 80's and even 90s were possible. There was also a 5 bird limit back in those days.

I was minorly involved in the radio collaring of woodcock in the early years, the adults were caught in mist nets and, most fun but also most miserable, at night using ATVs, spotlights, and fishing nets. It was miserable as netting required a rainy night which is just above freezing in April. Success wasn't huge but it is one of the few means of catching adult birds. It also was a decent break from the norm for the interns and volunteers working the project.

CWT's pictures are very familiar looking. The top could be any late season covert in MN or WI once the leaves have fallen. Flight birds seem to like more open cover, maybe due to being mostly adult males or because the openness allows them to use speed and maneuverability to flee danger. Late season can mean drier and/or frozen conditions so a source of unfrozen water and surrounding soil is a good place to start looking for birds.

The second is where I have found woodcock from Louisiana to North Carolina southward. It is getting to be what I think of when I hear "swamp quail" habitat. It is a bit drier than in some places but the look is very similar.