My favorite gun shop was the old Mountain View Sporting Goods in Mountain View, next to Anchorage. The resident "old school' gun smith was a guy named Jack Shine. Old Jack had a cabin on Lake Susitna next to my friends the Perkins family. Old man "Perk" was and old school guide in Alaska and had been guiding in Alaska since the 40's. Jack made Perk up a Mauser .308 Norma with a Canjar trigger and a Douglas barrel and when it was completed Perk gave his converted Springfield in .308 Norma to his son Ken. Ken and me were best man for each other at our weddings, sadly he is gone.

The new Mountain View Sporting Goods on the old Seward Highway is a far cry from the old one that sadly burnt down in the late 60's. After that there was no "dominant gun store" in Anchorage for many years. That all changed because of gun writer Jeff Cooper of Gunsight fame and an article he wrote about Wild West Guns in Anchorage. One of there employees came up with a take down Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and the rest is history. When the article was written old Jeff was at the height of his influence with his teachings on the Modern Technique of the Pistol, the 1911 in .45 ACP and the Scout Rifle. He said the take down 45-70 was a big advancement for firearms, etc. Well that really helped to put Wild West Guns on the world wide stage. Many a gun rag reader bought into it.

Never mind the fact that for many years Winchester and Savage and others had been making take down rifles. It is as if it was something brand new and by now we all know new sells! Me and many other Alaskans dealt with different gun shops. I had a one time dealing with them and like others, went else where for future gun stuff. It is amazing what one article can do for a business.

If you live close to a reliable competent, honest and timely gun shop, count your blessings and PM me with their name please.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 05/10/20.