Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
What's the fanciest dish you guys like to eat and or have prepared?

I don't eat out much, except on the odd occasion to get wings or a burger. Sometimes a steak, but by and large we just eat at home. My wife is a good cook, but is an outdoorsy gal and doesn't have the patience for anything long and drawn out in the kitchen so it's casseroles, crockpot, etc etc.

My daughter on the other hand has discovered that she loves loves loves making food. Mostly baking, but really just making food. Which is funny because she hates anything with flavor, i.e. spices like salt and pepper lol. Anyways, long story short when she started getting into the whole food thing a year ago or so I asked her to make some creme brûlée. I've never had it, only seen it in pictures but it always looked so good. Totally forgot about it, till Christmas time and on her list of requested gifts was a double boiler. I asked her why that? She said she needed one to make creme brûlée. Last night she finally made it.

Oh my goodness, talk about good stuff. Took her quite awhile as I guess it's an involved process, but I gotta say for now at least that's my favorite fancy food.

Crime brûlée is my all time favorite desert. Been eating it since I as a kid because my mom made it all the time. Admittedly I’m kind of a food snob in that I do like “fancy“ food. And lucky for me so does my wife who is an excellent cook and enjoys preparing complex meals. Hell so do I on occasion.

There are a lot of recipes I can fall back on passed down from my folks and grand folks straight out of the old country which here in our country are considered “fancy”, but in Europe are really just staple dishes. I guess it’s just perspective.

This ain't europe. Work week is more than 20 hours here. laugh

I get what you're saying. My grandmother spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen, the pressure cooker seemed like it was always going. But in the end the dishes were always simple and wholesome. Like auk1124 opined, I'd say my palate too is pretty simple.

MAGA