Wow good conversation here guys thanks.

So as has been pointed out the closure has to do with the staff’s ability to clean the facilities and to administer the backcountry permits. Permits were instituted several years ago to keep campsites from over crowding....

Anyway governess declared that starting this weekend the UP and northern LP is less locked down than the rest of the state, bless her heart.

Fortunately this means we may be able to get a shuttle and do the Pictured Rocks Natl Lakeshore from East to west as its meant to be done. Unfortunately the Natl Lakeshore hasn’t hired summer staff to clean the bathrooms in the backcountry area and won’t be open until late June.

So we’ll go. I can’t friggin wait. My 12 yo is really excited and she is such a joy to be on the trail with. We’ll be able to go nice and slow and practice leave no trace so our impact won’t be noticed by anyone else in the future.

I understand where the person was coming from who said that there are those who want to go wherever and do whatever (Stereotypical millennial) And I get it. That’s not my desire; I consider backcountry near sacred and don’t intend to abuse it.

Might get interesting if we run into the “all in this together” gestapo out there as we’re camping out (in violation of the rules) but I’m pretty good at lying low and going unnoticed.

Def will post up pics when we get back!